4-1-2015 My Leadership - Their Lives


75% of a person's waking hours are spent on work - Getting to and from work.  Thinking about work.  Actually working in their job.

I heard this statistic last week and started thinking about what an awesome responsibility we have as leaders.

My leadership at work has huge implications for the lives of my people.  Not just their work lives, but also their home lives.

Think about it.  If a person spends 75% of their time focused on something that I have direct control over, I probably have a great deal of influence on what type of spouse, parent or friend they are the other 25% of the time.

A Call To Grow

Leaders:  It is time to grow!  If I am not investing in becoming better at leading, I am shirking my calling.  Leaders impact more than sales, profits, and project completion.  My influence extends well beyond the work place.

If I lead a team of 10 married employees, then I am probably affecting the lives of 10 more spouses and 20 children.  What if my organization is bigger?  What if I lead 100 married employees?  200 children are counting on my leadership!

The Bottom Line:

This is a short post because I shouldn't have to say too much more.  Some people will read this and move forward without thinking twice.  Some people will pause, decide to read a leadership book and then never follow through.

It is my greatest desire by writing this, or any other blog that I post, that a few leaders will commit to grow.  The desire to get better as a leader is truly admirable.

If a leader gets better - the lives of employees, spouses and children are all affected.  As leaders, we may never know the true impact we have on all the people we lead.

Knowing that spouses and especially children are also part of my sphere of influence, should drive me to become better.  I should never be satisfied with who I am as a leader. 

My job is a huge responsibility because so many people are affected by my leadership.  That makes leading a sacred call.  It is a call that we should all take seriously.

Our role is so much bigger than our job descriptions.  Just ask the people waiting at home for those we lead.


Does your work environment ever affect how you are at home?

Return to the Impact Talk Radio Show Page
Link to Article
Recent Shows
Title Date
Making Your Brand Not Suck - Interview #2 w/ Social Selling Evangelist Mario Martinez Jr.
Sales VP to Entrepreneur - Leadership Lessons from Mario Martinez Jr. - Social Selling Evangelist
Why Do People Follow You? - Interview #2 with Jeb Blount best selling author
What Makes Great Salespeople Great - Interview with Jeb Blount best selling author
Integrity and "Just this Once" with Karen Dillon NYT Best Selling Author Show #2
How to Avoid Being an Unhappy Leader - NYT Best Selling Author Karen Dillon
View All Podcasts

Download two free PDF resources to help you identify and define your team's values.

Get Free Values PDFs

Anderson Leadership Solutions

The Overwhelmed Manager's Guide

Connect with Dave